Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

Celebrating 30 Years of Unconditional Love!

Today is a very special day for my parents.  In an effort to celebrate them, check out the letter I wrote last week:




In a time full of nasty divorces, domestic violence, and extra-marital affairs my parents have defied the odds.  Vernon and Karen Patterson are a true testament that love and faith can conquer all!


The Jazzy Couple

 
My parents will be celebrating their 30th Wedding Anniversary on July 11th.  In true fashion they chose to celebrate a day early at the Soul of Summer Tour with their favorite musical artists, Jonathan Butler and Maysa!  To make the day special my parents bought upgraded seats and surprised two couples that they are close friends with to join them.  This act of kindness is just one example of the many selfless acts that my parents have done over their many years together.
 
For as long as I can remember my parents have been caregivers and stepped in as parents to so many.  My friends from high school recall my mother giving us ginseng candy and a banana before any basketball practice or game.  They recall how my dad taught them how to do lay ups or coached them in little league baseball.  If raising, two of their own wasn’t enough imagine them taking in my now 16 year old cousin when he was just in middle school and his sister who is finishing her college studies.  
 
Their love and generosity doesn’t end there.  Over the past four years or so my mom has been the primary caregiver for my ailing grandmother, Grand “I.”  My grandmother is a breast cancer survivor who suffers from Dementia with Lewy Bodies (DLB) and is being treated under hospice care for the final stages of the disease.  As you could imagine care giving for an ill and elderly parent takes its toll on any relationship, but I am proud to say that my dad has been right by my mother’s side throughout this entire ordeal.   This is actually the second parent that my mother has cared for.  Before my grandfather passed in 2001, my parents did in-home dialysis for many years and gave him the best possible care.
 
Needless to say, my parents are anything less than amazing towards one another and everyone that they come in contact with.  I know that they are preoccupied with my grandmother’s situation, but I really want to make sure that their 30 Years of Marriage is acknowledged and celebrated.  I would love it if Mr. Butler and/or Maysa could do something special for my parents during their performance at the Wente Vineyard on Sunday, July 10th.  My parents would be truly grateful for a backstage pass and an opportunity to meet them.  Vernon and Karen would also greatly appreciate a public acknowledgement of their anniversary and a song dedication.  My parents are an example of everlasting love, faith and devotion.  I write to you with humility and admiration. 
 
A Believer of Unconditional Love,


Ashley Patterson, Loving Daughter of Vernon and Karen Patterson



Although nothing happened for them last night, I did in fact hear from Maysa and at the last minute the song that she and Jonathan were supposed to perform and dedicate to them was cut.  So in the meantime Maysa did send her apologies and we are trying to work something out.  Stay tuned...


What makes today even more difficult is that my grandmother's condition has continued to decline, but I know that she has lived a FULL & DYNAMIC life!  I had the opportunity to go home over the weekend and just hold her hand, look her in her eyes, and tell her how much I Love Her!  With all that's going on I just wanted to acknowledge both love and life! Please keep my family and I in your prayers.  


Parents w/ Grand "I"

1 comment:

  1. They're so fun! I miss them. Tell them I said hello and have a great time in NOLA!!!

    ReplyDelete