Pages

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Hello World! Hello India!

I'm currently blogging from Bangalore, India!
How did I end up here you ask?

Well, many of you know I just got my Master's from the University of the Pacific and I had an opportunity to take a seminar to administer the Intercultural Development Inventory (IDI). My options were Minnesota or Bangalore, India. I'm sure you could guess there wasn't much of a toss up on where to go.

So what is the IDI?

The Intercultural Development Inventory® (IDI®) is a statistically reliable, cross-culturally valid measure of intercultural competence adapted from the Developmental Model of Intercultural Sensitivity.

http://www.idiinventory.com/index.php

So the plan is to use the IDI to strengthen my own Intercultural Competence while sharpening my skills as a an educator and champion for diversity and social justice issues! Who knows, maybe I will start my own consulting program!

What's Up in Bangalore?


My Air India flight was a super long total of 20 hours with a layover in New Delhi. Don't let the fancy screen fool you. I had no sound the entire way! Luckily, I had my window seat, caught up on sleep, and my laptop to watch a new African Emmy winning documentary, Malcolm's Echo (more highlights to come).

So it's monsoon season here in South India, but luckily the only rain I've witnessed was when I arrived and it was in the middle of the night.

I'm staying at the Mercure Hotel where the training is being held. This place is very impressive. The apartment style One Bedroom is super modern. A great way to start my trip!

The pillows on this bed are huge!
They have a fancy sprayer and drain next to the toilet. International toilets are one of those small things I look forward to figuring out when I travel!
What's to eat?

Indian Masala Dosa-Savory crepe w/
spiced potatoes served w/hot sambar and chutneys. This is a South Indian
breakfast staple!

Poolside brunch goodies! Grilled lamb chops and shrimp!

Gotta have dessert!

Prepping for the IDI Seminar!



On my way to Commercial Street!

Tons of rickshaws and motorcycles!
WORLD CUP NEWS!

...STAY TUNED FOR MORE PICS AND MY TRIP TO GOA!

4 comments:

  1. Ashley, you never cease to amaze me. Love the blog, love the pictures. Can't wait for more. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ashley,
    Wow! Bangalore.....tech center of the world!! Great experience and have a blast! Get some much needed rest and relaxation and stay healthy and safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley!!!!!! the pics look amazing :)....wish i was there....stay safe...love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashely you are amazing, you are a strong woman, and you get it honestly,love the pic's, when
    Life gets hard remember God is good all the time.
    Love you much your cousin Kathy

    ReplyDelete